Thursday, February 21, 2008

It Was Terrible, But So Worth It.

Since my return to the blogosphere there has been a lot I have wanted to write about but just didn’t have the time. I still don’t have the time, but I realized that if I let that keep me from blogging, I will never blog. It will be torfeasance 2007 all over agian. All I would ever manage is the weekly music video which, while cool, is not quite what I want this blog to be. So, I've got some catching up to do.

The first thing I wanted to write about but didn’t was the one year anniversary of our move to Barcelona. It was a year ago Jan. 26th that we did the big move out of our apartment. It was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. Moving at all in Minnesota during January is nuts. But moving extremely large and heavy furniture that, seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time-cause-you-got-an-employee-discount, but has been a major pain in the ass the four times you’ve had to move it in the last four years, that's jsut bat-shit insane. Oh and I can't forget to mention the ninety-seven boxes of books. And the boxes of stuff that we moved from Utah but never took out of the moving box in a year and a half of living in Minnesota. Obviously that’s some real crucial stuff.

First we strapped the piano into the trailer to be taken to the in-laws in Marshall. Thank goodness for them and their help. Had we not been able to send the piano with them we would have been really screwed. Next we proceeded to move everything we owned to the vacant small upstairs bedroom at the house of a guy Patty knows through her work. I’m not sure if he knew what he was getting himself into, but he’s a great guy and we lucked out in being able to store our stuff at his place for a very reasonable rate. The scary thing during the move was that we didn’t know how much would fit in the upstairs bedroom. As it turns out most of our stuff, and even some of our furniture, made it in. The room was packed floor to ceiling and wall to wall with boxes, boxes and more boxes – it was pretty crazy. The big furniture took up a pretty sizable space in his garage, and Jay took the couch. All in all it was an exhausting and as I mentioned above, traumatic, experience. I never want to move again. Seriously. Unfortunately, I’m beginning to get a strange hunch that we may be moving again soon. I graduate in May and who knows where we’ll end up?

So, the move was crazy. I wish I had pictures. As bad as it was though, it would have been a whole lot worse if not for our friends and family. And, as bad as it was, it could have been so much worse. We got lucky with the weather. The weekend we moved, coincided with a January thaw here in Minnesota. The daytime high was something around a balmy thirty five-degrees. One week later it was so cold there was talk of cancelling some of the festivities at the Winter Carnival in St. Paul. When it’s so cold there’s talk of cancelling the annual celebration of the snow, cold and ice, that’s pretty bad. It really hit home this year how lucky we got moving last year. We’ve had plenty of well below zero temps with wind-chills down to negative forty. That’s just scary cold. This morning it was five degrees. I walked outside and commented on how warm it was. Only in Minnesota! Tomorrow – the flip side of the move – Barcelona, el chiquito, and El Gran Via de les Cortes Catalanes! (with photos.)

1 comment:

Hydro said...

Dude...that sounds horrendous. I will be moving in a couple of months and now I am dreading it. We live on a 3rd floor apartment and we, too, have accumulated large furniture for no good reason. At least the piano is out in the garage. Hey did you ever get our emails about the vegas trip in the end of March? I'm sure you'll be busy as crap. Let me know if you got our emails.

One last thing. Remember that "gentleman's club" in Denver? I drive past it almost every day. :)