Thursday, February 14, 2008

For My Valentine

I went a week without blogging but there is a torrent about to be released here at tortfeasance. First, however, here is this week's music video. In honor of Valentine's day and dedicated to mi media naranja. Enjoy.




For those of you (of the four people that might read this) that aren't familiar with Mr. Manu Chao, you should check him out. He's different but definitely awesome. On a personal note, I believe that Manu Chao is the embodiment of Barcelona. This may just be because it was in Barcelona that I became reacquainted with his music. I think its more than that however. Listening to his music, in a very real sense is to experience life in Barcelona. This got me wondering if there are any other musicians who embody or personify places. This goes beyond mere association, like Seattle with Grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc.) to something more. You tell me folks - are there any musicians, singers, or bands that personify a place for you?

1 comment:

The Bombic said...

I love this idea that a song can personify a place so perfectly (which Manu Chao definitely does for Barca). I've been thinking a lot about this over the past week and all my song relationships have to deal with a person or an experience. It seems just as proper to assign a song for a place as well, so now I think I will have to begin to think of a song for Minneapolis.

P.S. Me gustas tu.